Visit www.kempe.org for a complete list of resources.
Child Abuse Facts
We Never Forget that behind every statistics is a real person who needs our help.
In the US:
- Nearly 800,000 children are the victims of child abuse and neglect.
- Child abuse is three times more prevalent than all childhood cancers combined.
- 1,760 children died at the hand of their abusers.
- More than 75% of the children killed were under four years of age.
- Approximately 80% of all child abuse is perpetrated by parents.
According to the US Department of Health & Human Services 2007 Child Maltreatment Report
- Nearly 40,000 children were investigated for child abuse or neglect.
- Over 10,000 children were confirmed victims of child abuse or neglect.
- In Denver County alone, 1,304 children were confirmed victims of child abuse or neglect.
- 32 children died due to child abuse or neglect.
According to 2008 statistics from the Colorado Department of Human Services