The Kempe Foundation for the Prevention and Treatment of Child Abuse and Neglect will recognize national Child Abuse Prevention Month in April 2011 with an awareness campaign and events.
The month-long Child Abuse Prevention Month awareness campaign promotes the role that everyone can help play in keeping Colorado’s children safe. Activities and promotions include:
- Public service awareness campaign throughout April 2011 including television, radio, magazine and newspaper features
- Giant blue ribbons placed on buildings throughout the Denver Metro Area
- In conjunction with The Children’s Hospital, lighting of blue lights along Children’s Way at dusk in early April
- National Blue Ribbon Week on April 3-9, 2011
- National Day of Hope on April 6, 2011
- Kempe Takes Paris Gala at 5:30 p.m. on April 8, 2011 at the Denver Marriott City Center
- Sports Authority Cherry Creek Sneak run for Kempe at 8 a.m. on May 1, 2011 with pledges and donations above the race entry fee benefitting The Kempe Foundation
For more information on Child Abuse Prevention Month, visit www.kempe.org/capm.
History of Child Abuse Prevention Month
In 1983, President Ronald Regan proclaimed that April was the first National Child Abuse Prevention Month. Since then, child abuse and neglect awareness activities have been promoted across the country during April of each year.
About the Blue Ribbon Campaign
In 1989, the Blue Ribbon Campaign to Prevent Child Abuse started as a Virginia grandmother’s tribute to her grandson who died as a result of abuse. She tied a blue ribbon to the antenna of her car as a way to remember him and to alert her community to the tragedy of child abuse. The Blue Ribbon Campaign has since expanded across the country.
The Kempe Foundation, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization founded in 1976, provides the education, advocacy and fundraising support for the work of The Kempe Center for the Prevention and Treatment of Child Abuse and Neglect.
Headquartered in Colorado, The Kempe Center is recognized as a world leader in child abuse treatment programs and for over forty years has been at the forefront in the fight against child abuse. For more information, visit http://www.kempe.org/.